If you’re starting to care for a new puppy, that’s awesome! You’re in for a whole new world of fun and adventure. However, besides the regular food and love you give him, there are other things you should invest in before buying your new puppy, like shelter. So if you’re looking for a good home for your puppy to sleep in, then read these metal dog crate reviews for our suggestions!
Top 5 Metal Dog Crate Reviews
Based on research, reviews, and overall customer reputation, here is the list of our top five best metal dog crates:
|Image||Product Name||Editor's Rating||Price|
| MidWest iCrate Folding Metal Dog Crate
|MidWest Life Stages Folding Metal Dog Crate||Check Price|
|AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate||Check Price|
|New World Dog Crate||Check Price|
|Precision Pet ProValu Double Door Dog Crate||Check Price|
1. MidWest iCrate Folding Metal Dog Crate – Editor’s Choice
MidWest is one of the leading brands of dog crates, and this is one of their most popular products! What’s great about the Folding Metal Dog Crate is that it comes in different sizes built out of a strong material, as well as containing TWO doors and a divider for pet owners or breeders with multiple puppies! These crates are ideal for travelers or for people who want to save space, as the cage is foldable and can flatten for easy storage. Plus, it comes with a leak-proof plastic pan and rubber feet to protect your floors from marks or any messes your puppy may create. With all these features, including a very strong cage, this is worth the investment for any pet owner.
- Foldable and easy to carry around
- Many sizes to choose from
- Includes a divider
- Has two doors
- Made out of sturdy material
- Choose between light blue, pink or black
- More expensive than other metal dog crates
Another great choice from MidWest would be a crate from its Life Stages series. Like the first MidWest cage we reviewed, it comes with two doors and many different size options. It’s ideal for small or big dogs alike, with a dividing panel and a plastic pan with rubber feet. The crate also has a manufacturer’s warranty valid for one year so you can be assured of replacement or repair in the case it does give out.
The Life Stages crate is made out of a heavy gauge steel with a tight wire mesh, which makes it stronger and more durable than many other types of cages. It’s also foldable and easy to collapse for storage or transport. The larger sizes are definitely big enough for dogs who are jumpy and love moving around inside their cage. This metal crate is also known for its sturdy quality even if you put a hyper dog inside!
- Foldable and easy to disassemble and reassemble
- Very sturdy cage with a stronger material than many competitors
- Two doors with a divider
- Affordable price worth the investment
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Would be better if it had a metal pan instead of plastic
- Doors don’t fully close
3. AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate – A Cheap Price for the Same Features
The AmazonBasics Folding Metal Dog Crate is similar to the MidWest cage, but comes at a more affordable price and yet has similar features. It comes with mini dividers and a two-door design for convenience. Plus, it’s foldable and easy to setup! It’s made out of solid materials, known to withstand just about any dog. It’s also large enough to fit multiple puppies inside.
While the material isn’t as strong as MidWest’s iCrate, it can still do the job of keeping your puppies safe and in one place. I would recommend this cage for anyone on a budget and looking for a durable cage for their puppies.
- Fully coated and painted – no rough wires
- Easy to setup and move around
- Includes two doors with dividers
- Spacious with a solid construction
- Panels bend and flex too much
If you’re looking for a large metal dog crate with an affordable price, then New World is an excellent brand to consider. I love the fact that it comes in various sizes, with the 30-inch standard size being ideal for medium dogs up to 40 pounds. It also comes with two doors for added convenience, and a strong slide-bolt latch to securely lock your dog into the crate to keep him away from harm.
The cage is very easy to assemble and fold flat so you can store it or carry it around with you when traveling. And when potty training your puppy, you won’t need to worry about it making a mess in the cage as there is a durable and leak-proof plastic pan to hold your puppy’s messes. The shipment and customer service from Amazon is excellent. The package comes in perfect condition along with a one-year warranty. With all these features and at such an affordable comparative price, it’s worth the investment!
- Easy to setup and disassemble
- Able to flatten for transport or storage
- Leak-proof, durable plastic pan underneath
- Adequate size
- Very strong crate
- Plastic pan which the dog may chew and deform
- Door has an alignment issue
5. Precision Pet ProValu Double Door Dog Crate – Fashionable Colors
The first thing you’ll love about the Precision Pet Cage is the fact that comes in either pink or blue! The pink definitely looks amazing, whether you’re fashionably going out on the town or want to improve your home decor!
It comes in both small and medium sizes, ideal for either smaller dog breeds or puppies. It’s also an excellent choice for multiple puppies, as it comes with a divider panel which allows you to avoid fights and have your puppies sleep comfortably. There is a slide-out plastic pan made out of strong materials. It’s easy to clean and you won’t need to worry about messes!
The cage is also designed to keep your puppies safe, as it has safety latches and Hartco clips, as well as rounded corners so they can avoid getting hurt on sharp edges. There is also no chance of escape due to its latches and strong material. With its ease of assembly and storage, I can say that it’s definitely worth the investment for those on a budget with small puppies to potty train or keep out of trouble while away from the house!
- Comes in fashionable colors
- Ideal for small to medium-sized dogs
- All the safety features to keep your puppies away from harm
- Easy to potty train with slide-out pan
- Foldable and easy to carry with handle
- Only one size to choose from
- Coating begins to flake off and chip over time
- A bit difficult to work latches at first
Benefits of Having a Metal Dog Crate
Why should you purchase a metal dog crate? Isn’t it better to let your dog freely roam around? Sure, there should be a balance. But having a cage for your dog is also very advantageous, particularly in the first stages of his life. Here are some reasons why:
Safety and Security
Your puppy will be safe and sound in his crate, whether sleeping or playing with his toys. Because you know where your puppy is, you won’t need to worry about him escaping the house and going missing. Whether his cage is outside your home or inside your room, you’ll know where he is. It also helps keep your belongings safe from any bite marks!
Owning a crate will help potty train your puppy. Once your puppy associates a particular area with his toilet needs, he’ll know where to do his thing and NOT make any more smelly messes elsewhere! Since your puppy may have a hard time learning where to relieve himself, training him with his cage will help him do his thing without the worry of making messes elsewhere.
Using a cage helps your dog to calm down as they quickly come to learn that the cage is their own quiet place (though we admit it can be tempting to want to soundproof the dog crate when they are young puppys as the barking feels like it will never stop!).
We all know how puppies can create havoc around the house. It isn’t only a mess to clean up, but also a lot of time and effort wasted trying to keep your home looking and smelling comfortable. When you have a dog crate, your puppy stays in one place without roaming around and creating unwanted messes, may it be tearing up the toilet paper in the bathroom, or peeing all over the kitchen!back to menu ↑
How to Use a Dog Crate
You have a cage, but oh no! Your puppy refuses to go in or feels too afraid to use it. How can you encourage your puppy to stay in his small home? Here are some tips to help your dog get used to his cage and how you can maintain it:
- Allow your dog to sniff the cage. In other words, let him “meet” his new small home before letting him inside. Do NOT force him in; have him do it himself.
- Add small treats or his favorite toys to the inside of his new crate, luring him into the cage so he can associate it with good memories and fun. Pet him when he goes in so he knows he’s doing the right thing when staying inside the cage.
- When maintaining your dog crate, make sure to clean it so you can see when he’s made a mess inside. Wipe down the cage daily, so your puppy remains in a clean place, and the metal dog crate will last longer.
- Let your dog follow a routine. He should know when to stay inside the cage, whether you’re leaving him to go to work or while you’re running daily errands. That way, you won’t have a hard time coaxing him into the metal crate.
- You can potty train your dog by encouraging him to stay in the cage when you feel like he’s about to pee or poo. Give him a treat every time he successfully excretes inside the metal crate so he knows where to do his business the next time.
How to Purchase the Best Metal Dog Crate
How can you choose the best dog crate? It will depend on these factors:
How big is your pet? Be sure to get one that is a bit bigger than your dog, accommodating for his height and weight. If you plan on putting two dogs inside as a playpen or sleeping area, then invest in a big metal cage as to fit both dogs.
If you can buy an exercise pen, it will be larger and capable of holding more dogs. However, it does not have a pan underneath to catch messes, nor does it have a roof to prevent escapes. It’s ideal for more dogs and playtime. If you choose a cage, it will have a sturdy roof and pan, perfect for sleeping single dogs. This is a better choice for dogs who will be sleeping or potty trained in the metal cage.
How much are you willing to shell out for a dog crate? You can find quality cages for about $30 to $60. Make sure not to skimp on quality, but avoid overspending on a cage that isn’t worth it. Check legitimate customer reviews on the Internet or ask trusted pet owners to give you a better idea of a metal dog crate which is worth the investment.back to menu ↑
When it comes to keeping your puppy safe and secure, a cage is a great investment. Not only do they help with toilet training your puppy, but he is assured safety when you’re out for a long period of time! Out of all the metal cages we reviewed, the MidWest iCrate Folding Metal Dog Crate is the best one. It is made out of the strong and durable material you and your puppy need, as well as having two doors and slide-bolt latches for better security. Other features include a leak-proof plastic pan and a carrying handle. With its portability and sturdy foldable design, it’s great for both puppies and big dogs alike. While it does have a hefty price tag, it’s equipped with all the features your pet needs for an adequate play space while you’re out or doing errands around your home.
I hope this article on the best metal dog crates helped you decide what you need for a small dog home. So what are you waiting for? Invest in a cage and reap the benefits it has to offer today!
If you have any questions or would like to share your own reviews of dog crates, then comment below. I would love to hear what you think.back to menu ↑
- Tim Johnson